Citizens Police Academy
20 applicants will be accepted; preference will be given to persons who live or work in the city.
2023 Academy Information
When: Feb. 16, 2023 - May 11, 2023; Thursdays 6:30-8:30 p.m.
Where: Lilburn Police Department, 4600 Lawrenceville Highway., Lilburn, GA 30047
Please e-mail Monica Sims at MSims@cityoflilburn.com if you are interested in receiving an application.
Description of the Academy
The Citizen’s Police Academy (CPA) is a 13-week program designed to educate and inform citizens about issues that face law enforcement efforts in the City of Lilburn. Each CPA session consists of 13 consecutive, two-hour Thursday night classes. The instruction is comprehensive, and each week a separate area of the department is covered. Topics include crime prevention and community-based policing, drugs, K9, traffic enforcement and accident investigations, criminal investigations, the Use of Force Model and use of force training, firearms safety and the law, as well as life-saving techniques.
How the CPA Benefits Residents
• Citizens and police officers have an opportunity to work closely together
• Open lines of communication between community residents and their police are enhanced
• Citizens gain the ability to make informed decisions regarding controversial issues faced by their communities
• Citizen involvement with their local community and police department is enhanced
• Citizens gain a better understanding of how their police department works and develop ways in which the community can better reduce crime
• Citizens become aware of the problems facing their police department
We hope the graduates of the CPA become more aware and better informed about police operations and will encourage friends, coworkers and families to join the Lilburn Police Department in this rewarding program.
Who Can Apply?
• Minimum age of 21
• Preference is given to those who live or work within the city limits of Lilburn
• No prior felony arrests or crimes of moral turpitude
• No misdemeanor arrests within one year of the application
• Must commit to attending a minimum of 10 out of 13 classes
• Must possess a valid Georgia Driver’s License